Saturday 11 December 2021

Uncovering Newfold Driving Skills.

 Conquering the mountain of Eisenberg.


Earlier this morning I had to deliver some medicine to an elderly gentleman who lives atop the Eisenberg mountain. Mountain, you may be right in thinking it to be a slight exaggeration and who could blame you. Eisenberg is more of a big hill. Yet enough of a hill to have some very steep patches of road to traverse.

There are two ways to get to where this man's house is. One through the village involving a very steep hill and the other via the main road but alas, also involving a steep bit of road. Because of the recent bout of snow and ice, I decided to attempt my delivery for this morning. 

A good choice apart from the parking situation. Normally I can park right outside the gate but today, due to the snow plow having created two big trenches of snow on each side of the road,  I couldn't. It only dawned on me as I tried to park, that it wasn't a viable option. What if someone wanted to drive past? Well, I couldn't do a three point turn around-too narrow-and so the only option was for me to reverse up the road, firstly hoping that no traffic would appear and secondly that I wouldn't misjudge the distance on my right, as that would have been a nice tumble down the hill.

All in all I had to reverse about two hundred meters and let me tell you, I felt a bit nervous. Those sides of the road came awfully close and I had to stop and redirect a few times. It felt like forever before I came across a wide enough space where I could park and eventually turn around. Never mind stressing about oncoming traffic. That might have been anything but fun!

Eventually I parked the car and I have to say that I felt quite good at having mastered this bit of driving in these awful winter conditions. Another experience behind me, another lesson learnt...beware of the weather....!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment