Wednesday 22 December 2021

The Luxury Of Cooking From A Full Fridge.

...Beginning of the month!


Granted, we don't shop monthly as firstly I couldn't work out what and how much to buy, secondly our fridge wouldn't fit everything in and thirdly, I would miss out on my weekly therapy of perusing the various grocery aisles. Yes, I know, weird!

A few years ago I worked with a girl who used to only shop once a month with the odd top up of bread and milk in between. She and her husband would head out with a big shopping list and calculator. Most of the time they managed to plan everything down to the last supper unless of course a case of the munchies had arisen. One of the main things  I recall vividly was the way she planned meals at the end of the month. Scraps of this and left over of that and often she told me of the fabulous meals created. If by chance they ran a day short, there was always a trip to her parents on offer.

After yesterday's shop and honestly, it was a bit more than usual as we mistook the event of Christmas for a month of closed shops. Or so it seems when I look around the fridge and larder. Does everyone overdo it for Christmas or is it just a case of trying to relive our youth with the help of old time favourites? Thank goodness we can't get a vegan version of a Christmas cake yet because that would be Bob's first choice ( I don't like it so he would end up having to eat the whole cake! ) while I tend to stick with the decadence of creamy joghurts, ice creams and bread.

So, back to my thought for this blog today. Our fridge is full with yummy foods to be made. So full that I don't know what to make first. The vegetables are all still nice and crisp so they don't need to head so quickly to the cooking pot but on the other hand, that delightful piece of vegan Greek Cheese just begs to be devoured, either melted over a nice plate of pasta intertwined with broccoli or eaten as is with some nice rye bread and a glass of Burgenland's finest...Again, I am grateful for the sheer luxury of having more than enough to eat.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment