Friday 7 March 2014

A Bully Cuts In-line & I Show A Stiff Upper Lip!

A silent protest of sorts.

The layout of most modern Cell / Telephone shops might be award winning but hardly useful. Unless we want to deal with a nebulous machine there is no other choice but to go to the brick & mortar-shop. A shop with real people...although at times you get to doubt how real they are, because for some reason they don't greet or make eye-contact while you wait.

Yesterday, I deemed it important enough to go to this shop. As I stood at the entrance, my practiced eye ( remember I worked a Reception for yonks and know what is potting ) noticed three customers being handled. Three staff and three customer, meant a wait. Never mind, I stood at the entrance. Nice and in the center, ready to move at a moments notice to the appropriate counter.

Out of the blue, another customer walked straight past me. In a manner similar to a weasel he hurriedly sniffed at every counter ( trying to ascertain how far along they were ), inspected his options and with head slightly forward, plonked himself behind a customer being served. His wife two steps behind had the grace to peep up at me and display a bit of guilt. But other then that it was a more of a gleeful glance. Believe me, I was giving out mean looks in vast amounts!

Frankly that man apart from his weasel like moves looked a tad bit thuggish. Shaved bald head, attitude and rather stocky in nature. Not someone I wanted to challenge. It was either put up or shut up and I am not inclined to have pugilistic responses, verbal or otherwise.

Anyway, Bob had been wiggling his toes outside on a bench. After about 10 minutes he came in to inquire what was taking so long. Only a waiting husband can give credence to such a obvious question. Darn it, I made the mistake of telling Bob about the weasel.

" So go over there and tell him off? "
" Eh Bob, have you had a look at this man? Anyway, why don't you go and tell him to wait his turn? "

After a further long wait, a wait with a proverbial stiff upper lip, we couldn't wait anymore and cut our losses. We decided to choose another day. Can you believe it, I stood there for about 20 minutes and not more than a meter from the first staff member, and the whole time, he never made eye contact or anything resembling a greeting. Customer service at its best!!!

They should maybe look into getting a number system. As you walk in, take a number and then wait to be called...
Oh and also bring back that old fashioned notion & idea:

The customer is King and the least you could do is greet them.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment