Tuesday 29 October 2019

A Sort Of Dress Code For Visiting Old Age Homes.

My little blunder.

A stint in Rechnitz again this morning meant that I took the time to visit a former Deutsch Schützner who has moved to the old age home there. A rainy, miserable and cold day it was.

Timing still has to be fine tuned while visiting there because I was a tad bit too early, interrupting the morning routine but nonetheless she ( and her nurse ) were so happy to see a visitor that they fast tracked her morning routine. Felt quite bad for changing the routine as I understand what a vital and integral part of the day routine is. Set your watch by it!

Eventually my ' lady ' was ready and we wheeled a short way to a visitor's lounge. Quite nice this one was. Loads of books and I couldn't believe seeing the whole series of Angeliques there. Gosh, what a find. Sad how hardly anyone reads despite having oodles of time to spare

Anyway, we had a nice visit chatting about this that and yesteryear, which I find very interesting and informative. Many a local tidbit of knowledge is buried in those older minds and one never knows when it gets dislodged and shared...

Eventually I had to get up to leave and as I was putting my jacket on, the lady looked at me closely and then said:

" Oh, why are you wearing black? "
I had on my black jeans and a dark blue jersey, which I suppose could be mistaken for typical funeral wear and rather a bad omen in heaven's waiting room;
" Gosh, all my other jeans are in the wash. These black ones were the only ones clean! "
She turned her head towards me, looked into my eyes and then packed up laughing. In fact she was gurgling with mirth and I could see that her doldrums had shifted for the day...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment