Wednesday 16 June 2021

Getting To Know My Kindle.

 Oh how I love my books.


Honestly, for years I have been wanting to have a kindle. It seemed like the ultimate reading device and for a prolific reader like me, like a treasure trove of reading choices. Unlimited they said, but like anything else in life, nothing is for free!

A few months ago I finally got my kindle and entered the hallowed grounds of online reading. Almost giddy with delight I couldn't wait for Bob to set it up for me ( although truth be told, most was already done by Amazon ) and flip open the first page of a book. 

A strange feeling it was. Reading without touching paper or having the feel of a hefty book on one's lap. But read I did, finishing two books in a row. Library books but before I could get started on my third, Amazon changed the rules a bit and wanted us to give our credit card details in order to get the Amazon Prime. No, that wasn't what we signed up for and so the library expedition ended. Not the end of the world, but it was the end of my kindle dream. From now any books will have to be bought.

Well, Bob bought a Tom Clancy and I started to read it ( on my kindle ) a few days ago. It took me some time to get used to the new parameters of reading pleasure. It feels to me as if I have been given a book without title, or cover. Every time I start to open my kindle it takes me straight to where I stopped the last time. Nice but then, I never know how far I have read, how much is still left over  ( I do get a notice that there are 19 hours and 23 minutes of reading time left over ) but honestly, reading a whole Tom Clancy book in 20 odd hours seems impossible.

I am also a reader who likes to page back in the book to look up a character or scene, which is neigh on impossible with my kindle, or impossible for me as I haven't figured out the finer details of this device.
Reading is reading but my heart belongs to real bound books. Books whose cover makes me see the plot more clearly, whose cover transports me to the world it describes and books, who abet in our home decoration.

Will I keep reading on my device? Of course, it does make reading on the go easier, but books will never go out of style with me and I look forward to the next time I can go to the second-hand store in Grosspetersdorf to give an old book a new home...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment