Monday 16 May 2022

If I Want To Do Things Perfectly, I Would Never Do Anything At All.

 Life lesson learnt today!


Is it just me or are most of us conditioned to only do things well or not at all? Especially those things that are on display for all and sundry to see. Our fear of what the neighbours would say keeps most of us rooted in our status quo.

These last few days I have made our outside wall my little project. I didn't tell Bob when I started as he would have given me oodles of pitfalls to watch out for and then pondered if we shouldn't wait for a professional to do it. He too is conditioned with the ' only do something if it is going to turn out perfectly '  gene and only slowly is throwing caution to the wind, doing mini-projects while not being too fazed when they don't turn out perfectly.

So, I got a strong brush, bought some polyfiller and all the bits that go along with it and got stuck in last week. At first it was quite daunting wondering if I was doing it right or making it worse but then it dawned on me that it was ' worse ' already and can only be improved upon. 

Bit by bit I repaired this garden wall and every bit done made the work easier and my hand surer. In fact I enjoyed doing the repairing. The first day, even though I was far from finished, I showed Bob and he was amazed, and enthusiastically inspected my effort. Hardly any critique bar a tiny one and that was okay. Both of us are coming to the conclusion that it is okay not to be perfect, to make mistakes and more importantly, to just get stuck in knowing that it might not turn out great....as long as it turns out.

This morning I realized that if I waited to do things perfectly, I would never attempt anything at all, and that is, has been and would be a shame! On to a new phase of living....

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment