Wednesday 11 May 2022

Mash And More...

 Rediscovering old favourites and faithfuls.


There are days when it takes a while for the menu plan to drop down the old brain and there are days when it positively jumps to the forefront even before breakfast. Cooking every night is fun but finding tempting combinations isn't a given.

I like to surprise Bob with new and tasty morsels but also make sure to cook is favourites. Luckily for me these are almost fast food. Pasta and pesto, can't get any easier! Tonight though, I want to try a new version of burgers. 

Bob loves his burgers in a roll, but I needed to use up some old rolls and decided to make bread crumbs from them ( rather than to throw them away ) and combine them with chickpeas to make burger patties. Recipes are a waste of time for me as it always depends on what is in the fridge because burger patties for me are a nice way to use up leftovers, and of course to smuggle in an extra vegetable or three!

The other day I got a 5 kg bag of organic potatoes for 3,95 euros and boiled a whole lot of them at lunch time. Some for me, with butter and salt for lunch and the rest is awaiting being squashed for a big pot of mashed potatoes. Yes, I forgot about mashed potatoes until I contemplated how I could prepare these cooked potatoes alongside my burger patties.

Even now I can't wait to taste it. Hopefully I can get it creamy, fluffy and plain yummy. Again I am amazed at what one can do with little. Potatoes are very cheap, the chickpeas even more so and together they provide a good and healthy meal. Enough protein, possibly more than if we had real meat, and the comforting knowledge that chickpeas at the cutting edge of health and more than able to kick any cholesterol, sugar or baddies out of our system.

As for the chickpeas; we shopped at Tesco's in Hungary last Saturday and managed to get 500 g of dried chickpeas for under a euro. This packet, once cooked, has so far provided us with four lunches and now tonight's dinner....

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment