Sunday 28 June 2020

Bits And Pieces From Food Prep Find A New Use.

Leftover solution in our vegan household.

We are off for a visit to my folks for the first outside B.B.Q. ( with ample space for social distancing ) of the year. Let's see how we can manage and then perhaps make more plans. In order to protect them, Bob and I haven't been inside their house since the middle of March.

Thinking of what to bring for the grill, I came up with skewers ( kebabs ) of mixed vegetables and marinaded tofu and that is what I prepared not even an hour ago. Long skewers filled with a medley of veggies and colour and hopefully flavour too. That is if they don't disintegrate over the grid!

As per usual I was overenthusiastic and had plenty of half cut carrots, onions, peppers and marrows dotting the various plates I used for prep. As I was about to whisk them into the bin, I decided to rather put the whole lot into our blender and whiz them into a sort of paste. Often I make veggie burgers and need fillers for them. This leftover motley crew of shredded veggies are perfect for that and it didn't take long to blend them, put them into a container and off into the fridge. Quite proud of my new invention.

Being a vegan household makes everything so much easier. Food keeps so much better and obviously goes so much further. As for the other vegetable peels, apple cores and uneaten food that gets thrown out...it goes into a special bin which gets taken behind our barn where we have a compost heap. Have had it for so long that Bob was thrilled the other day when he turned some of it and discovered the nicest bit of compost and earth for his vegetable garden. Slowly but surely these two former city slickers are getting it right.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment