Saturday 20 June 2020

Interesting Conversations.

One just has to ask.

The main reason I went shopping in Oberwart yesterday was in order to go to a tiny yet amazing shop there. An Asian shop, filled with all the ins and outs of a good curry, Chinese stir-fry or dried beans. Bob and I discovered it a while ago and have become hooked on the Mango Chutney sold there. Rather Bob has.

I don't get there that often so when I do, I stock up. Plenty of chutneys, hot sauces, curry spices and dried legumes. The owner was sitting there and as he rang up the goods, he asked me what restaurant we had. Eh, no, my husband just loves this stuff and as we life far away-Eisenberg- we like to have spare.

" Ah, Eisenberg, I know it well. I do a taxi service at night and often drive guests to and from The Ratschen. "
We started chatting about odds and ends and our love of curries. He asked me whether I would like to purchase some yams, which he had just got in. Isn't that some sort of sweet potato I asked him. No, he thought not but as he had made the effort to show it to me, I bought a piece. Heavy like a log, but I am open for new taste sensations.

Once I was home I looked online and found out that I must cook it like I would a potato. Fair enough, easy. Bob, once I showed it to him did what he usually does. He researched it in detail and thank goodness he did. The devil is in the fine print. Turns out that if eaten raw, yams are slightly poisonous, a little bit like arsenic. Ooh, luckily he told me as he knows my love of using raw vegetables for salads...Honestly, after all this info, I am a tad bit hesitant to cook with it but as millions of people the world over do, there really isn't anything to worry about.

Taking the time to strike conversations with people is fun, interesting and sadly, old fashioned. Yet, I like it and thus know who to call if I need a taxi and how not to eat yam...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment