Sunday 7 June 2020

Sunday Morning Chit Chat.

Flower power.

Today saw my last stint of watering the circle of flowers next to the village's fire station. A circle of brightness ( although some of the flowers do look more suited to graves ) thankfully kept alive by yours truly for another week. There was a moment of panic when I pulled out an stubborn weed and ended up having the whole plant in my hand. Didn't I water enough or was it not bedded perfectly? Quickly as a flash ( before the chairwoman of the watering committee could notice, hard not to as she lives directly across from our fire station ) I buried the roots back in the flowerbed and gave it a double dose of water. All other flowers are fit and flourishing.

I was there early, before seven, but still there were plenty of people about. One local woman ( she is also on the watering detail ) saw me weeding and favourably commented on it. Shoo, at least someone has seen me pull out weeds! Another man who was walking to get his Sunday paper also came over to talk to me and kept me abreast of the latest happenings in his and his wife's life. One only has to ask the magic question of; How are you? and most times the ills of their world come tumbling out.

Yet another villager came walking to the paper stand with his dog and once he saw me watering the flowers across the road, came over for a chat. All with the required two meter personal distancing of course. Those adhoc meetings and talks are really part of what makes a good life. Chance encounters and chance conversations with people make a world of difference to a day. And I am pretty sure that they also had a good start to their day...it isn't every day that someone actually takes the time to ask..." How are you? " and is willing to listen to the answer. Small village life, the good life.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment