Sunday 29 November 2020

Rediscovering A Love Of Baked Potatoes.

 The perfect spud.


Potatoes are so versatile and usually I add them to a curry, boil them and now and again make  mashed potatoes. Chips not very often as it is a tad bit more work, slicing and dicing a gazillion potatoes. They do taste nice though. Thankfully I have managed to stay away from crisps, the bought kind, as that might prove fatal. Who can stop at a few?

So today being a cold Sunday I was pondering what to make for lunch. Something quick and easy and obviously tasty. Veggies could wait for supper. We wanted tv food. By pure chance my eyes fell on a net of potatoes and that got me thinking about doing them a different way. In the oven, as baked potatoes.

I took five big ones, stabbed them numerous times with the tines of a fork and popped them into a hot oven along with a cup of cold water. Don't really know the why only that I remembered reading about that bit of water making a difference to the spuds.

Making baked potatoes took me back in time to when I was working in Scotland. Gosh, then I must have prepared hundreds of them working at a Cafe. There they were favoured with a generous helping of baked beans and cheddar cheese.  A few ventured out into dollops of tuna mayonaise but, too much of a good thing perhaps?

About 40 minutes later the spuds were ready and it didn't take long before I had splayed  them on my plate with a generous helping of vegan butter, salt and pepper. Oh my goodness, what a taste sensation. Crispy skin, soft center and flavour to die for. Yummy indeed.

Bob's preparing his as we speak and if he also loves them as  much as I, they can become a prolific staple on our weekly menu roster. Cheap, nutritious and oh so divine. Now and again we might pop some baked beans on top but not that often.

Good culinary times ahead...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment