Wednesday 25 November 2020

When Not To Cough.

 More about corona.


Isn't it funny the way  life has changed. The ordinariness of winter is a thing of the past. Corona has pushed itself into every aspect of our lives.

Earlier on I was on the phone with a friend ( due to corona that is the only contact we can have ), asking her how she was. Just the normal How are you? that starts all of our conversations. Well, her voice sounded groggy and scratchy which she confirmed by a hasty cough and explanation.

              " No, no, no, I don't have corona. It's just an ordinary lung infection. "

The stigma of corona has taken a hold of us. Most are afraid of having it and having to fess up to it if they do have it. A sneeze is explained by an over dusty room, a cough by an imaginary smoker in the room and a lung infection by dent of it being that time of the year.

Standing in a supermarket and doing either of the above almost is akin to declaring oneself a leper. Have you noticed how people surreptitiously ( or blatantly )   dash away at the first hint of a sneeze, cough or nose blowing? Rather sad, isn't it? I wonder if it will persist into a post corona world and if many of us are suspecting the next pandemic round the corner?

This morning I was walking and it was so bitterly cold that naturally my nose was as red as could be and those that met me along the way were secretly not too sure if I was still under the spell of corona and to be on the safe side they too gave me a wide berth. Truth be told, I might have done the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

This too  shall hopefully pass and in a year's time we can have a good laugh at our collective silliness. 

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment