Friday 18 December 2020

The Knaeckebrot Affair...

 It pays to read the fine print...


Knäckebrot, I just love it. Could eat it all day long, but usually have a few pieces while savouring a glass of wine in the evenings. Plain with a pat of vegan butter. Brilliant, healthy and synergistic with the wine. 

My darling Bob hasn't been a fan of Knäckebrot and will only eat a slice if nothing else is available. Literally.  Normally I buy the generic brand with the three basic ingredients: rye flour, salt and sesame. Nice combo, full of fiber and flavour. Now and again they have a special on the WASA brand ( usually too expensive ) where you can buy two for the price of one. Who wouldn't go for that?

The only drawback is that they only give you a choice of two or three types but as they are WASA, one assumes a healthy foundation all around. Well, that notion crumbled faster than their crispy bread.

A moment ago I got the last few slices from the packet and as they were quite tasty  ( but not my quite my  favourite as they are to thick and crumbly ) I happened to take the time to look at what's in them. Oh my, I should have known why all of a sudden Bob has taken to eating Knäckebrot as if it's better than sliced eh, bread!

             White flour, sugar, salt...

Yikes, what gives and why would you do that, dear WASA? Agh, now the pesky label reading will start again and more importantly, I will have to find an explanation as to why we don't buy that particular type anymore. Bob will fall for the : it was out of stock excuse only for so long. Perhaps he will venture out and try the plain ones, on the premise that one flat bread should taste like the next...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment