Tuesday 11 January 2022

Cold, But Not Really In Comparison.

 Feeling grateful.


The boy and I went out for his early walk this morning. It was still dark and miserably cold. Really cold, so cold that after a few minutes I couldn't feel the tips of my fingers. As crazy as it sounds, it is easier for me to wear cut-off gloves than proper gloves. Speed is of the essence when one has to pick up poop while holding the leash to a boisterous pup and not having to take off gloves makes all the difference.

It was so cold that I put on a coat over his jersey. An overcoat that after his recent haircut tends to envelope him. But at least he has a bit of warmth. Still not sure if dogs feel the cold the same way we do, but I am sure that two layers help him adjust to the cold after his warm bed.

I make sure to keep him running along because it helps exercise his muscles, helps with the cold and most importantly, keeps him young. Don't worry, when he wants to stop he puts on brakes, brakes that not even I can undo. So far he loves both his daily walks.

So, there I was complaining to myself about how cold my fingers felt when I remembered a segment I saw on the news earlier on. The people of Afghanistan have so little, be it food or warmth this winter. Children are having to deal with the double pack of evil; hunger and cold. How do you explain to a small child the ills of the world which its shoulders have to bear? 

We have got so much. We are blessed beyond belief if we have enough to eat, a roof over our head and enough money to pay for heating during winter. That is what it's all about. Forget about feeling unhappy because you can't keep up with your Jones's, or because you don't have a similar car to those that your friends sport on social media, or because you can't go away on holiday ( by the by, why are so many people unhappy in their own home to such an extent that they have to seek foreign climes several times per year? ). 

If we have food, warmth, health and family then we are blessed beyond belief and imagination. I do hope that the international community of nations finds a way to help those poor people in Afghanistan, because if so many countries can spend trillions on their arms budget, than surely a few billions can be found to help those in need? Makes one wonder if those arm manufactures had ceased to operate a year, a decade or longer ago would there be so much hardship around the world....

Biggi 

No comments:

Post a Comment