Wednesday 26 January 2022

The Generation Which Notices The Small Details Of Life.

 One before mine.


I came back from my walk feeling refreshed and ready for breakfast. The last few meters are the best because the lure of a hot shower and breakfast is unbeatable. Usually the last few meters are also those where I run into people.

           " Jeez, but you got here fast! "

A new father, or rather the father of our new neighbours-to-be was just parking his car on the side of the road. Being such a small place I can memorize most cars and who they belong to. His particular car had passed me on the main road about two kilometer back. Well, it was a black station wagon which I realized was his when I saw him here.

I  was still a few meters away and tried to judge if he wanted more than a mere greeting. One gets a feel for those who like to shoot the breeze and those who don't. He wanted to talk and after his opening gambit we had a nice few minutes of conversation about this and that and the younger ' computer 'generation and their lack of  life skills. 

He expressed his concern about this younger generation who mostly had their face stuck to a computer ( I owned up that I too have those tendencies ) thus not noticing important things. Like a drain being put in wrong for example. Like a slope having a possibility of being treacherous for a newly built house and the road that needed to be fixed. Am with him on that one. Our stretch of the road is a nightmare especially when it is iced over.

Of course he is of an age where regaling others with details is top of the list. Gory details. Yikes he told me of a chain saw accident  ( a case of the younger lot knowing computers but not how to handle a chainsaw and the appropriate protective gear ) in minute detail that I only got saved from when the other neighbour's father approached ready for work. 

Noticing things is priceless. His generation doesn't miss a trick and that is good so. So much to learn from that and so much old fashioned common sense. A common sense that is slowly disappearing from society.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment