Tuesday 24 October 2017

A Compliment A Day, Keeps The Doctor At Bay.

Little things make the world of difference...

Today being Tuesday I had the pleasure of driving an elderly couple to the doctor's. He is going to be in his nineties soon and will get a personalized visit from our mayor complete with a photo and framed certificate for the wall. These visits are highly sought after and those framed photos often hold pride of place. Quite a few villagers have shown me theirs the first time I popped in for a cup of coffee. Eighty seems to be the magic number when the official visits start and a big wall space is vital from then on.

Anyway, they had completed their check-up and asked if I could please stop at the local shop. Not a problem at all and after I had double parked, I helped them alight from the car. His wife is still sprightly despite being in his age range, but I do assist him out of the front seat and have developed the habit of making sure his head doesn't connect with the car frame by holding my palm just above his head and every time I am reminded of the many cop series I've seen on television. Just the other day I was ferrying Bob about and I almost did the same to him...quelle blamage.

It was and still is blowing gales in our village and so I thought I'd wait inside the shop for them. Normally I don't go in as it tends to crowd folks while shopping, but due to this cold gale I stood inside the front door to wait for them and help with carrying the shopping bags.

Anyway, my elderly gentleman was waiting to pay for the groceries, when another man cued up behind him. Not such a young man as I guess he was somewhere in his late sixties and my gentleman being the friendly sort, he struck up a conversation with him:

" Good morning young man. How are things with you today? "
It was the funniest and nicest thing to see. This chap, who wouldn't have classified himself as young, literally started to beam from ear to ear, stand up straighter while his eyes redeveloped a sparkle. For today at least, he will feel years younger because, let's face it, it is the thought that counts after all...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment