Thursday 5 October 2017

Two Squirrels And A Mighty Walnut.

Rural fun.

It was rainy day that saw me walk my usual path. Nothing astir except raindrops meeting the dried out foliage scattered all over the verges. After a while one gets used to rustling made by field mice, birds or the odd deer. On weekends I suspect that hunters make that crunching noise whilst walking to the comfort of their high perches. Not very sporting toward the deer, is it?

Anyway, a continuous rustling was happening on my left, in Bader's garden and suddenly I knew who the rascals were. Two cuter than cute squirrels were playing among the grass, and then outraced each other up on opposite sides of the same tree. Goodness me, they are fast little things. By the time I had my camera out and ready to click, they'd hopped and skipped down the tree and were busy cavorting among the pile of leaves again.

Patience is a virtue and organizing my glasses ( sadly I need to take them off to see what's in the camera's eye ) I pointed the camera towards the tree trunk. It didn't take long before they decided to race each other to the top once more...even more impressive is that one of them had a mighty walnut in its mouth the whole time. Wow, and now that I reflect on the walnut it makes me wonder whether there isn't a nest being made up this stately tree?

Well, they can feel the tentacles of winter approaching and are making sure to stock up for it and perhaps making their nest nice and comfy with heather, straw and of course the discarded shells of lunch...

Light footed and fast up this tree.
I think that is the other one running down this tree.
Could the squirrel be posing for me?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment