Tuesday 17 October 2017

Pets, What Would We Do Without Them?

My week of surprises.

Not quite a week I suppose but close enough. Walking back home after an extra lesson yesterday evening, I was deep in my thoughts until I heard an odd squeaking sound behind me. Nothing nefarious of course as I do live in the safe haven of Burgenland, but a squeak that did need further investigation.

With exaggerated slowness I turned and was almost bowled over. A black Labrador puppy ( well, she's almost grown ) was at loose ends with herself and footloose when she must have espied or heard me walk past her place. There she was, hurtling into me for a cuddle with her most prized possessions securely held between her fangs. Yes, the squeaky rubber duck & a sodden yellow tennis ball had to come along for me to play with.

Honestly, it broke my heart to think of this little cuteness following strangers ( she's seen me once or twice ) hoping for some game time. If I could, I would have taken her home with me right there and then. Seeing the many cars coming home from work, I tried to reign her back home which was a success until she stumbled upon an open gate and a resting dog behind it...yours truly was forgotten.

About an hour ago, whilst the Maus and I were resting on the couch, an incident occurred that has slightly shaken me up. From a supposed sleep on my legs, our cute little cat took a flying leap onto the floor, under the couch only to reemerge a second later with a real live mouse between her fangs. No squeaky toy there, oh no, only the real thing will do for our cat!!!

Honestly, I don't think that I've ever jumped off our couch so quickly and I don't know why because the last affair de mouse was handled by the boss and expertly so... Bob, he who has knowledge of how to handle these contretemps. From having seconded Bob, ( actually not really as I had spent most of that time atop the couch ) I realized that she'd play with this mouse for a while which posed the danger of it running for cover somewhere such as our cupboard, bed or even couch.

Tearing off a big piece of bounty ( god knows why as it was a generic one which we all know doesn't hold muster or mice ) I hastened in pursuit of an ecstatic Mausi who ran into the bedroom. Oh my gosh, I wish you could have heard her growling at me. Only this morning she was cuddling on my chest and now she was with mouse between her teeth uttering the most awful sounds at her mummy.

Naturally I should have let her have her fun and collected the exhausted animal once she'd tired of it, but...she was running to the lounge with me in hot pursuit when it happened. She dropped the ball or rather the speedy mouse, which after a detour up the curtain decided to drop on the floor and disappear under the floor boards. Gosh, they just need a tiny bit of space.

Well, as we speak, Mausi quite rightly is giving me sullen looks and a real mouse is back in our house...it's only Tuesday today and I do wonder what the next few days will bring?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment