Thursday 26 October 2017

It's Hard Not To Be Well Known In A Small Place.

Well known by proxy, that is...

Only sometimes when I take a moment to reflect does it stun me to realize that all the villagers in our village would comfortably fit into the whole of Beacon Hill, the block of flats Bob and I had lived in back in sunny South Africa. Although even there we didn't know everyone, not even by sight. The usual suspects were those who shared our floor, lift or work routine.

Same here of course. Even now we haven't met or even seen everyone because just like anywhere else, people like to live their own lives. Late yesterday afternoon I went along to visit some housebound Eisenbergers for the first time and they couldn't have been nicer and more hospitable.

It was a short surprise visit, yet a lot of interesting life history was told. Honestly, there is nothing more fascinating than listening to the life's events of Eisenbergers. Remember, the Iron Curtain was mere meters away and many families were separated when it came down.

About an hour later their son and daughter-in-law arrived and I said my goodbyes but not before exchanging proper greetings and hello's...

" Oh, I know your parents. They live opposite the...and I see them Nordic walking every morning. "
he said and proceeded to tell me chapter and verse. How he knew they were my parents is a mystery unless he saw the likeness of mum and I.

Small village life being as it is, he told me of other common acquaintances and isn't that what makes life so special? As Einstein said, happiness is found within the context of a simple and humble life.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment