Saturday 27 October 2018

Friday Night Is Curry Night.

A tradition is set.

Bob's favourite meal for the time being is Lentil Curry. Easy to make for me and tasty as can be. Before joining the plant based tribe I had never got to know beans apart from trendy hummus as an appetizer. Cooking beans ( pulses ) of any sort was just not on my radar. Pity really as South Africa has so many spices, recipes and restaurants geared toward vegan food.

Back to the curry...I used to now and again make lamb or beef curry and at the time we loved that. The first time I wanted to make a vegan curry I literally substituted lentils for meat and you know what? It tasted even better.

Most of what I need for this lentil curry is a staple in our house. Lentils ( this time Beluga ones ), potatoes, butternut, onions, garlic, ginger, chili, tinned pineapple pieces and coconut milk. Sometimes I leave out the latter two if I forgot to buy them. Oh and of course a nice hot curry spice. And I forgot to photograph a can of tomatoes which are a must for curry.

It really is so easy to make a curry. I fry the onions, with salt, ginger, garlic and chili then add the curry spice, dry lentils while giving it a stir. A few seconds later I add a can of tomatoes and two of the same measures of water. Then I toss in the potatoes and as I had them yesterday, the butternut pieces. About five minutes later I put a cup full of the pineapple pieces into the curry and let the whole pot simmer for an hour or so. In between I second Bob to add the final touch of seasoning complete with the coconut milk. F.Y.I. if you let your husband spice the food he will never complain that it doesn't taste nice!

In all honesty I forgot to make a photo of the first serving and only managed to put a little left over in a plate to photograph. It doesn't quite do it justice but I wanted to show the finished dish. Another forage into our vegan adventure...

If only you could taste a bit of it...yum yum.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment