Thursday 11 October 2018

Stumbling Onto A Farmers' Market In Guessing.

A new discovery for me.

Today's shop was actually planned for Tuesday but somehow it wasn't meant to be. Funny how one can stretch a larder if one has to. Granted, we ate exotic food last night ( food that is hardly ever on our plate yet always hiding at the back of the larder ) and I sincerely hope Bob liked his lunch today. Oh well, at least we have food.

As you can imagine, the list was long. I enjoy shopping in Güssing as everything is central. No fighting traffic across town like in Oberwart to get a chance to meander through Hofer and Lidl. And anyway, traffic is very scant in Güssing which equates to many empty parking spaces and a laid back energy.

As I got into town this morning I had to stop for a police man and honestly, I thought it would be time to show my licence and registration papers. Quite exciting until I realized that the road was being detoured by most of their police staff. Or so it seemed when I counted three police cars and at least four men in blue.

Eventually I got to the strip mall and saw a portion of it being used for this farmers' market. I had known of it from various postings on Facebook but never actually got around to shopping at it.

Being plant based it somehow makes me excited when I see vegetable offerings, never mind the top of the range organic produce that was being sold today. The man manning the stall was the farmer who was rather dishy to say the least so that I didn't even ask prices but bought beetroots, minute parsley bulbs ( never seen these before ) and red peppers.

When he totaled it up, I was pleasantly surprised. In fact so much so that I phoned mum to ask if she wanted some vegetables. Apparently, the parsley bulbs are a delicacy,so I got a whole lot for her.

Shopping at this stall today felt good, knowing that the farmer gets a paid well for his work and that the produce hasn't been flown halfway across the world in order to land up on our plates. Well, Thursdays are now the new designated shopping days!

First time I have seen parsley like that.
A sampling of what I bought today.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment