Wednesday 10 October 2018

The Jungle Book.

Teachers are a groovy lot.

This afternoon I was overjoyed to espy an English book peaking out of the homework pile of my extra lesson's chap.

" Oh great, is it your class book? "
" Yes, we have to read some pages this afternoon. "
Ooh, music to my ears. The book itself is more of a booklet and of course the story is as universal as can be but nevertheless I was happy to read with him.

They'd read a few pages in class and when I asked him about what he'd read, he told me a very brief version, rather like the movie.

" Did you read the German translation of it or see the film? "
I shouldn't be suspicious but having had a few boys for extra lessons, I am well versed in the art of abbreviation, abbreviation of work that is...well, that's when I realized that his teacher was brilliant and as cunning as can be..
" Yes, I have seen the film but our teacher said that the story in this book is a bit different. "
Ah, what a great move on the teacher's part.

We read a page together but as I hadn't read the first chapter, I asked him if he had could tell me about it. Turns out he hadn't quite got the gist of it in class and thus the two of us were wading through the delightful story of The Jungle Book along with Mowgli and co.

You know, reading English is jolly difficult as most words are pronounced misleadingly different to how they are written. Learning to read and pronounce each word correctly takes time and practice.

  • ...know, knight, knot...
  • ...gnarly, gnome, gnu...
  • ...taught, through, two...
  • ...could, one, read ( past tense )...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment