Friday 26 October 2018

My Left-Overs Burger, Vegan Of Course.

An amazing burger made from what would otherwise have graced the bin...

As you know Bob and I are on the amazing adventure into the hitherto undiscovered arena of plant-based / vegan lifestyle and I thought I might post some of the delicious meals that we've stumbled onto by art of experimenting.

Firstly, let me apologize for the slightly darker photo but getting the right lighting in a kitchen isn't always easy. Yesterday we had added a few more items to an already full fridge ( divine vegetables from Tesco's in Szombathely ) and my first thought at supper time was to whisk up a delicious meal with all the new bought items.

Over enthusiastic indeed, until I stumbled over a few cold boiled potatoes and cooked beans stashed nicely in Tupperware on the lower shelf. Oh, I had bought fresh rolls just in case of burgers but hadn't considered making my own patty. Well, how bad could it taste?

I chopped up three large button mushrooms, an onion, mashed the potatoes and beans and crumbled a serving of smoked tofu. Quick and easy, I added a dash of oil and flour into the mixture and let it rest for an hour. It goes without saying that I added salt, pepper and some dry spices I found. Honestly, the next time I make these they will have a different flavour.

Forming them into patties was easy because I wet my hands with water ( saw that on a cooking show ) and dusted the mix with flour. As you can see they aren't perfectly shaped but still in a nicer form than after frying! Both Bob and I love to have raw onion slices, tomatoes and some form of lettuce on the buns and that is what you can see on the plate. The yellow cherry tomatoes are still growing in our vegetable garden. Wonderful.

Not wrong about their shape, am I...although the combination of all those easy ingredients added up to a most scrumptious meal. The smokey tofu coupled with the earthy aroma of the mushrooms was divine. What I love best of all though, is that it keeps Bob's diabetes at bay, saves an ounce of an animal and let's us do our bit to save the planet one vegan burger at a time...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment