Monday 31 May 2021

The Magic Of Gardening.

 A  lawn affair...


Last week Bob and I went to town to get a new lawnmower. The old one had finally had enough and is now resting comfortably in the barn awaiting its fate. Shopping for anything new is not without dangers. Too often one gets roped into upgrading a bit here, a bit there and before you know it you have the Ferrari of lawnmowers. No, we resisted and got a nice and dependable work-horse. Not too fancy, just right.

So, this afternoon I gave it its maiden run. What a pleasure to mow the lawn with it. Easy to start and easy to push around our lawn. The last bit I do is usually the two pieces of lawn outside our house, on the verge.

Well, I had stopped to empty the basket when I noticed out of the corner of my eye two people walking toward me. Our neighbour's mum and child coming to see what I was up to. Of course it was more than obvious that I was cutting the lawn, but it provided a nice opportunity to have a chat and find out what's new. The little girl ( almost two ) had spotted me from the window and dragged her granny out to see first hand what I was doing.

A few minutes into our conversation ( ranging from corona via lawnmowers to the good old days ) the mum came out the house and joined us. In between watching the cute antics of the little girl we all had a nice chat again about this and that. Lo and behold, a minute later another neighbour comes walking up the road to join our little group. Actually a new neighbour to be as their house is in the process of being built. Those few minutes she came and chatted to us should have taken her mind of the irritation that goes along with building a house.

It really was nice to stand there and shoot the breeze with everyone. Through the years many of the older generation have told me how good it was when everyone met up in the evenings on benches outside the various houses. 

Sitting on those benches, talking to friends was their treat after a hard day's work and without fail, everyone I talked to never complained about the hard work they had to do ( remember, farmers had a tough life with the wife looking after children, the household and still helping work the fields, vineyards, livestock and cook. Often without fancy electronic equipment such as washing machines, fridges or electric stoves! ) but instead mentioned how they loved to meet up with friends and neighbours on the benches outside their houses once all the work was done. ..can understand that. Life, the simpler the better.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment