Tuesday 7 September 2021

A Minute Too Late At The Local Treasure Trove.

 Wasn't meant to be!


Okay, I have to admit that going into Oberwart on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday is rather exciting. Yes, those are the days that our local hospice shop is open for business. A pot luck of shopping, but then, you never know...

Only last week Bob found his infamous 2 euro pair of original Levi's which fit perfectly and are just what one expects a pair of Levi's to be. So, winter jackets are on our shopping list but I knew the minute I saw their butcher board outside announcing that every summer clothing item is priced to go at 1 euro, that winter togs are not yet on the shelves. 

Just for good measure I asked the chap at the till whether any winter jackets were lurking. No, he told me, as all the summer stuff would have to go first and then perhaps in two weeks time the winter stuff would come out of the storeroom. He must have seen my disappointment, because he quietly told me to come and have a look into the storeroom.

Ooh, the special treatment. The room off the shop where all the new stuff donated is sorted out. The room where a kind lady was folding or hanging up these items, and a room where I managed to find a divine vintage jersey. In my euphoria I told the chap how both Bob and I love the hospice shop, and that Bob had bought his Levi's from them. Levi's which he now wears with his new vegan Dr. Martens.  ( Birthday gift ).

The chap looked at me and asked what size the Dr.Martens are. A bit odd I thought, but mentioned Bob's size nevertheless. 

        " We got in a new pair of original Dr.Martens in a size 42. "

Good lord, my size! Trying to sound nonchalant, I told him that these shoes would be perfect for me. Well he said, let's have a look at them in the shop. We did just that and he went to the shoe shelf to proudly show me the Doc's only he couldn't find them. He asked colleague about where these Doc's were....

         " Oh I am sorry. I sold them to the gentleman who just left. Literally two minutes ago! "

Drat! Obviously it wasn't meant to be, but I couldn't believe how close to a fabulous bargain I got. Just goes to show that shopping second hand has its rewards, even if they might be delayed for a while. Next time lucky.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment