Wednesday 29 September 2021

The Misconception, Or Rather Delusion, Of Our Own Age.

The cunning ways of our mind.


We all know how old we are. Women more so than men. Naturally, as society does judge a lot of us by the age we portray. Unless we are wine, age isn't seen as an asset.

With that in mind, is it any wonder that we ( or should I say I ) think and compare ages? Once you hit certain numerical milestones it tends to become second nature to look at others and compare the apparent age, more particularly the apparent signs of aging in relation to us. Yes, yes, very vain, altruistic and contraire! But how else should we set markers of how fast or slow we are approaching our numerical markers? Personally, I would rather go backwards than forwards. There, a bit of honesty.

We all have people popping up in the periphery of our life. The bit parts on our stage played by them. In the last two years an older couple has popped up in mine. They too are dog owners and long walkers. So far it has only been the casual but friendly ' hello ' when passing, until yesterday. By the way, do you also imagine how the life of others might play out? Certain outer markers- clothes, hairstyles and mimics - help the process along...

Anyway, this couple looked to be in retirement age. Perhaps a generation older than me but well made up and decked out. So there I was walking yesterday when I happened to come across this lady on her own. Well, she had her grandchild with her, pushing her in a pram.

We got talking, a slight bit longer than the usual greeting. Exchanging the arbitrary yet enjoyable superficial topics of village life. We talked about the health benefits earned by walking, seeing that we both walk a lot. I then hastened to add that for me walking is also a health choice and that contrary to many others close to my age, I don't take medication of any kind. 

She straightaway assured me that I am not that old! Well, I was truthful and honest, blurting out my age, which she lobbed back with a poser of note. Honestly, the foundation of my age perception was rocked quite alarmingly when she replied:

       " Well, I am only one year older than you then, and I also don't take any medication, "

Okay, reality bites. How are we supposed to get a sense of our real age ( or how we have aged ) when internally we still think of ourselves as young with-it gals with our whole life still before us? 

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment