Sunday 12 September 2021

Little Milestones.

 A kinder vibe?


Yesterday afternoon when I was feeding the troops, an amazing thing happened. One of our feral tomcats who normally bolts when I only glance at him, despite loving our grub, came towards his food bowl while I was filling it and then let me stroke him while he ate. Wow.

Cats are cleverer than we give them credit for. This male cat, the same one that keeps fighting with his brother, has been watching my interaction with our newest rescue, a.k.a. the grey cat, with deep interest. She follows Maxi and I on our early toilet walks, she lets me cuddle her whenever she sees me and she stays as close as possible to our door so that she won't loose us.

Well, this male tomcat has taken it upon himself to follow Maxi, the grey cat and I on our early walks. He now sleeps between our two front doors. He stays close to this door all day long and now, he has let me stroke him for the very first time ever without flinching or bolting. Amazing.

Even now, as I write this, all the outside cats are assembled within viewing distance awaiting an early supper. Apparently I have morphed into the family cook as earlier when I went to take the washing off the line, I noticed a dead mouse lying next to Bob's van. A gift, a toy, who knows. But what I do know is that our cats have become so lazy and spoilt that a formerly yummy treat and one they spent hours catching, is now not even worth their while to eat.

Every week I tell Bob that I am going to stop giving these cats wet food and only feed them dry pellets. Getting jolly expensive and in any case, many people only feed their cats with dry pellets. They might revolt a day or two but then, hopefully, get hungry enough! Maybe I'll start this week....or maybe their cute little glances of pity will have me get some more wet food for them.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment