Friday 15 October 2021

Rediscovering The Rubik's Cube.

 A blast from our past.


I think it was in the 80's that we were all enthralled and slightly vexed with this Rubik's cube. The latest rage and obviously quest before all the misguided euphoria of the internet took hold.

Funnily enough it was invented by a Hungarian fellow, literally now only a stone's throw away from us which might be why they were selling this retro-toy at a local furniture emporium.

It is supposed to help relax and perhaps de-stress the user and I thought it would be perfect for Bob, seeing that the last few weeks of harvesting have been extremely stressful. Better than cigarettes. Anything to try and divert him from them.

Bob is brilliant at puzzles, quizzes, crossword puzzles and games. Much better than I could ever be although now and again I baffle him with a nugget of knowledge. Often my husband tries to show me the error of my ways ( not listening in Geography class ) by asking me a ridiculous question relating to it. Bob is a walking Geographical encyclopedia and I admit to not thinking much about it anymore, seeing that he solves all the mysteries surrounding any questions I  ( or anyone else who is aware of his genius ) might have to do with a particular country, town, location or route.

Not that I have ever seen Bob solve this Rubik's cube but I remember him talking about playing with it and I just wanted to see how quickly he would solve it. So far he hasn't had time.

The cube has been sitting atop our kitchen table for the last few days and its lure caught me. I tried it. I remembered it. I haven't got the patience for it and it seems that I won't solve it.

Of course I am going to give it a few more tries and reignite the obviously unused part of my brain in charge of puzzle solving and who knows, I might just get it done before Bob...


The Rubik's cube!


Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment