Friday 22 October 2021

Saving Our Planet One Meal At A Time.

 Salmon & shrimp of the vegan kind.

I couldn't believe my eyes this morning. There I was perusing the aisles of Spar, especially the frozen section as I was looking to see whether I could find Bob's favourite vegan pizza. There is a method employed by me which ensures I notice any new product offerings. I go from one end of the standing freezers to the other, looking up and down in each one. 

For some reason they tend to hide vegan products at the bottom, also know as no-man's land in the parlance of sales reps. What are they trying to do to us vegans? Honestly, as if that would stop us...

So, third freezer along, almost at the bottom of it I espy  vegan salmon and  vegan deep-fried prawns! Goodness me, I nearly fell over. I have read about them in the overseas vegan magazines but never in a million years did I expect to find them in a supermarket in Rechnitz, the hinterland of Austria ( by the by, Austrians themselves tend to view Burgenland as such ). Veganism is real and has arrived.

Naturally I won't buy these imitation fish products because firstly they are still processed and secondly they are exorbitantly expensive. For some reason they make a habit out of over-pricing vegan processed products and I suspect because they assume that vegans have more and are prepared to spend more money on food. Some we can't do without-Sunday grilled cheese, vegan bratwurst and the occasional ( ! ) vegan ice cream- but until they are more affordable, I won't get them....I think.

Most people make the mistake of assuming that we only eat these substitutes of animal products, but realistically they only feature occasionally. Our taste buds have changed and making most meals from scratch ourselves ( including burgers ) is so much more tasty. These substitutes are good when one first starts out on the road to veganism or as a day off from eating meat. On top of it they do leave a much smaller carbon footprint as animal products do, thus they are a good alternative.

Anyway, I am very happy  about the prolific expansion of vegan products in such a short space of time. Saving our planet one meal at a time.

Biggi


No comments:

Post a Comment