Thursday 7 October 2021

The Woes Of Navigation The Emotions Of An Old Dog.

 Or more his foibles?


Maxi, the darling that he is, has his own brand of difficult. Being difficult. Being different. Being himself. All allowed but as a dog parent I have to make sure that he gets his daily exercise and that he has ample opportunity to do his business, outside and only there.

Normally not a problem until the weather gods decide to drop copious drops of rain. Honestly, even a few drops make him go into a difficult state. He refuses to take one step further and this morning, once he realized that it was raining, he quickly did his thing before putting on his breaks. Nada, no movement and a time where I had to make a decision.

Not knowing whether he equates rain with snow, I had to show discipline and continue our walk. His not walking on an extremely rainy day is okay but after a few times of not walking his age will trump and he will quickly head into a decline. Walking is the be all and end all to a healthy dog.

I decided to force the issue and pull him along. Not in a hurtful way but still a forceful one. Somehow I had to show him that I am the leader of his pack. It was a semi success because we managed to get halfway round the block before I turned around. Amazing how suddenly he could walk at his own leisure!

Once we got home and after drying him off in a fluffy towel I served him his breakfast. A reward for semi-good behaviour. Only, now he is too scared to get out of his basket and so far has refused the offer of a pippi break, one we usually take before lunch.

It is getting close to high time that we go on his afternoon walk and I do so hope I haven't lost his regard of me. Maybe I shouldn't have thought to be able to teach an old dog new tricks but I don't want him to go into physical decline over the winter time. Navigating his likes and dislikes isn't easy, but I have to make sure he can be as healthy as he could be and walking is the major part of that. Wish me luck that this next walk will be without any tantrums....mine or his.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment