Monday 30 September 2019

An Afternoon Of Hans Moser.

A perfect slice of movie history.

As a child I loved watching old black & white movies and especially those Austrian ones. How prophetic seeing that I would end up living in Austria. Brilliant how the universe works, isn't it? Austrian movies, even now, have a special flair and je ne sais quoi that makes one feel at home, cosseted from the ' bad ' outside world and of course encourages one to dream of that special someone. Hans Moser, does it best.

You know, back when I was a child watching these ancient movies, I had no idea that I would watch them four decades later and still love them. By now they should be thought of as film history considering that Hans Moser's career spanned both sides of the second world war.

Of course I only stumbled upon this Moser festival by accident. I went to visit one of my neighbours down the road who mentioned in passing that she was glued to the telly yesterday due to Herr Moser. Three movies in a row and each full of old fashioned movie intrigue, romance and Viennese ' schmäh '. Did I mention that she is over eighty and not once fell asleep? Unheard of even for me...

What makes those old-fashioned films so special that even eight decades on they are still adored by young and old? Considering that a lot of them were made during the worst of times, it attests to their artistic relevance and of course the awesome acting and directing. If you get a chance, try and watch an old Austrian black & white movie. If it should be a Moser film all the better...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment