Tuesday 10 September 2019

Some More Time Spent Visiting A Senior Residence.

An afternoon in Rechnitz.

Looking in on one of the residents definitely gave credence to my vegan conviction and lifestyle. Most of the time I have to walk through different wards and sections to get to the person I want to visit and that is when I get confronted with the flip side to the image of being hale, happy and hearty in old age.

After lunch I headed out to Rechnitz in order to see one of its new residents. Yes, a Deutsch Schützner who moved there two weeks ago. The plan was to go through to her room and sit a while for a cozy chat about this and that.

So intent on going to her room was I that I almost didn't see her sitting in the commons area. Wow, what an improvement indeed. Out of bed and nicely dressed sitting among new friends. It took her a moment to place me but when I proffered a bar of chocolate to her, she was all smiles and had stopped putting me into the stranger category.

We talked the normal stuff and sadly looped it five or six times ( happens to the best of us ) and now and again her new friend sitting in the chair next to her also chimed in. Gosh, so many lonely people in old age homes waiting for it to be over in order to join a departed loved one. Honestly, that is what I get to hear most of the time. Makes conversations rather upsetting at times although they are often interspersed with funny moments. Treasures really.

Put a bunch of women together and it doesn't matter how old we are, one point of interest always creeps in. Well two actually. Question of age never gets old! The two of them were comparing age and what made me smile was the younger one's sentiments:

" I can't believe that you are five years older than me
and hardly have any wrinkles. "
followed by a sage;
" Ah well, doesn't really matter. Don't want the bother of another man anyway. "
The other topic of importance never missing is of course a list of ailments ranging from broken hips, thighs or legs to diabetes and heart problems. Which is why I am so chuffed to have stumbled onto our plant based, vegan way of life as it should help us to grow old healthy and hopefully sound of mind.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment