Saturday 14 September 2019

A Lovely Physalis First Thing This Morning.

Meeting other newish Eisenbergers.

I felt a bit of a klutz standing there with a physalis in my palm and not quite knowing how to eat it. Gosh, I even mumbled about eating the paper thin cover. Yikes, how could I not have know how one eats a Cape gooseberry? Thank goodness they showed me.

It was just at the beginning of my walk that I saw a couple walking, carrying trays of produce. Ah, the couple who've planted a field at the edge of Eisenberg and who I have been told are fellow vegans. What are the odds? The only other time that I met him was on a guided bird-walk early summer. Apart from nods when he or they drive past me while I am out walking.

Today I wanted to find out if they are indeed selling the produce that they so lovingly are growing ( often see them toiling their field ) and was rewarded with a physalis and lots of information.

The thing about living in paradise is that just about everyone is rather laid back and one can have great casual conversations with the odd life changing fact thrown in.

As we were tapping our way into a vegan conversation I began to realize that they are the salt of the earth vegans. Those that make most things from scratch and eschew ready made processed stuff. Oh, how absolutely marvelous and wonderful to talk to an Eisenberger about our vegan way of life without being ridiculed or thought of as the new nutters.

When I mentioned that I had to head out for my walk, his wife hesitatingly asked if she could come along now and again.

" Sure, that would be great,
but I must warn you that I do walk about 7 km at a time. "
To which her husband added;
" Oh, and she walks fast! "
That's small village life for you...everyone knows of each other without even having met properly.

My little Cape gooseberry came along for the walk and was eaten at the end. Lovely mixture of sweet and tart tastes. Climates must be changing because this exotic tropical physalis fruit is now growing in Eisenberg.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment