Saturday 3 April 2021

A Little Bit Of Maths.

Firing up the brain.


Listening to a podcast the other day I was made aware of an interesting fact. Brains, use it or loose it! The trick to have a healthy mind would be to make it try out new things. Not only the good old standbys that we do by rote. No finger stretching for our brain there. Same as when we don't use certain muscles for a long time, they shrink and weaken.

Gosh, I was listening keenly and pleased when the word knitting fell. Yes, there I was ahead of the curve but then the expert mentioned how great it is to either study a new language, re-visit mathematics or study something which at the outset seems difficult. In fact when it seems hard to fathom is when our brain starts working out and using that part of it again.

So, not wanting to have my brain shrink ( hoping it has a fairly decent size now ) I decided to buy myself one of those study guides for maths. Revisiting youth so to say because let's face it; how much of the mathematics of our school years have any of us used in our daily lives? Apart from primary school that is. Adding, subtracting etc although even that is being replaced by calculators and smartphones. 

Standing in front of the study guide shelf at the store was a revelation. Enthusiastic as I was I straightaway picked up a guide for the grade 10 and once I glanced through it, I quickly put it back down and also my expectations. Gosh, all Greek to me!

Slowly I perused the various guides for the different grades and eventually settled on a more entry level one. Put rather a dampener on my mood. Clearly I have been shrinking my mathematical side of the brain by not making any use of it. That is going to change and in a way I am quite excited to see how far up the grades ladder I can climb  towards...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment