Friday 30 April 2021

Trying To Keep A New Lot Of Plants Alive Inside Our House.

 One step ahead of Eisheiligen and our cat.


Last week Bob and I went to an outdoor plant sale. Everything is outdoors nowadays even though it took some convincing to walk around the stalls. Gosh, everyone and their aunt Agnes was there stocking up on seedlings and baby plants.

Bob is getting wise to my Gemini tendencies ( can never really decide between one or the other and take neither ) and organized on the drive there what we should get. Fair enough, a plan is good. Tomatoes and chili it was to be.

Every stand had both so we managed to get some lovely organic tomato plants and a chili one too. About eight or so. The trouble is that every year the Eisheiligen ( a cold front ) arrive in the first week of May and planting anything beforehand is a daring operation as frost could come in with one fell swoop.

We have chosen to house the plantlets inside one of our outhouses but as mum reminded me yesterday, the plants need sunshine which ideally would be a window sill...inside our house. We had brought her one tomato plant and she wisely has put it on their kitchen sill and goodness me, it is almost the size of a tree. Well, not quite but much bigger than our plants.

Yesterday, I moved plants. Old plastic trays from last year's window boxes were found and the plant pots put inside it. Easy enough until I carried them inside, past the mistress of our house, Miss Maus, who naturally thought they were for her.

What fun she thought, no more chewing grass outside. Oh great, Mummy loves me and is giving me my own little catnip garden. Yip, I could read it in her eyes as I had to shoo her off the sill.

Every morning ( well actually only this one ) I go and see if they are still in one piece or rather on stalk. Honestly, plants take a huge risk when moving in with us. Either I forget to water them or the cat decides they might be a fantastic snack. Oh well, hold thumbs that we get to plant the plants outside the week after next.


Too good to ignore...catnip perhaps?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment