Thursday 22 April 2021

Thursday Is The New Wednesday.

 A flock of shoppers, including me.


In my mind I had been planning my trip to town all week long. It was supposed to be on Monday but I thought because of all the shops opening up again I would wait until today, Thursday. Usually town is a nightmare to navigate on Wednesday due to the street market and pensioner's day so I wisely changed to Thursday.

These last two days we used up a lot of staples and surprisingly didn't starve! Rather a challenge to see how far everything will stretch and honestly, I could have waited until Saturday. With all those confusing corona issues and still having Wuhan's total lock-down in mind, I like to make sure that cans of tomatoes and packets of pasta are always on hand. So far we've been lucky in that supermarkets have never closed during this past year.

So off I go today into the metropolis of Oberwart and couldn't believe my eyes. Town itself was packed. Cars everywhere, people on pavements dipping in and out of shops. What happened to the good old laid-back Thursday? I must say that the supermarkets were crowded with pensioners which makes me wonder if they have corona fatigue or whether they feel invincible due to having been vaccinated. They should really start to limit the amount of people in supermarkets and open more check-outs!

The shopping center itself was relatively normal. I needed to go to their health shop and while I was there I quickly dropped in at one of those ubiquitous garment sellers. Cheap and flimsy. Asking the shop assistant to point me to the sports wear I was flabbergasted to be shown to a corner of clothes that firstly was made for size zero women and secondly looked more like casual sleep wear. What happened to good old fashioned tracksuit pants and t-shirt? Moments like these make me realize how little I do need and how I can make do with what I have. 

A bonus was being able to get food for Miss Mausi as her tastes have shifted to a more luxurious brand of Gourmet. I know, I know, she is spoilt rotten but cats won't eat what they don't like. They would rather starve to death then let a morsel of disliked food pass their lips. This cat keeps us on our toes and amused whilst praying that she likes what we serve for her dinner...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment