Tuesday 27 April 2021

Looking For Birds.

A kind of daily treasure walk.



An acquaintance mentioned to me last week that her husband who had freshly entered retirement was looking for a bird. No, no, a real bird. A sort of cousin of the woodpecker but rarer. His main aim for the moment was the sighting of this bird and its family. The Eurasian hoopoe-Eurasischer Wiedehopf

Several bird-feeding station have been set up and nurtured by him and his friends ( oh, we are a bird loving lot ) around the area but the bird has not been gracious enough to let itself be seen. Should I sight this bird on my numerous walks, please to send a short text message with coordinates.

Well, why not, an extra element of excitement to my daily walks and a chance to see it from a different perspective. Yes, birds live on higher levels purveying us from their lofty vantage points. At first I had to make sure what type of bird they all were looking for and my acquaintance quickly showed me a photo on her phone. Yes, a bird distinctive enough to be noticed.

So, these last few days I have been looking about trying to sight the elusive one. No luck so far but I have noticed many more avian friends aloft the various branches, shrubs and rooftops. They do sing so beautifully and cheerfully.

When I hear the daily avian choir I can't help but feel that everything is right in the world despite the pandemic hanging over our heads. Whether I will find this bird is yet to be seen but seeing that I change my routes often and try new territory, the chances are good.  Happy birding ahead...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment