Thursday 15 April 2021

A Touch Of Tough Love On Our Feral Felines.

 A short and sweet affair.


At the moment I am reading a most fascinating book on human evolution by Daniel Lieberman - The story of the human body- and as per usual I tried to translate some of the gist of it into normal life. Well, the cats were first in line as I can just about imagine the not so silent protest Bob would make if I tried out some ideas on him...

One of the main points about the human evolution is the fact that since the Industrial Revolution almost everything is done for us when it comes to food. We don't have to grow, harvest, chop any of it. We don't have to hunt, skin or portion meat and we often don't even need to stir the old wooden spoon as a lot of us merely heat up pre-cooked food or go out for a meal. Not good for our bodies as we don't use up energy in doing all those chores that industry has done for us.

So, on to our feral darlings. Everyday I hasten to feed my two darlings with a generous bowl of dry cat food and a nice big can of wet cat food shared between them. Most kind and with hindsight most energy saving for them. They don't have to hunt their meat anymore and in fact mice and birds have morphed from tasty feline morsels to entertainment. Yes, these two feral boys are getting lazy and large. Not on my watch!!!

Famous last words...two days ago I chose to only give them dry food albeit an extra generous helping of it. Well, that went as expected. Not well at all because the two boys thought that wet food was still to come and sat there waiting ad nauseam for it. Knowing that millions of cats only get dry food ( often more nutritious though not tasty ) I turned a blind eye to their antics until yesterday afternoon. 

I had just filled up ( yes, hardly any eaten ) their food bowls for supper when I happened to glance out the kitchen window and see the one of them sitting almost in front of it, looking ever so cute and adorable and pleading. What is a mum to do? My good intentions lasted only a day because I got a can of cat food, rushed out and filled each bowl to the brim.  Honestly, I wonder who's educating who...

As for any further plans to implement some of the books ideas, I must play them wisely as I am sure that our princess would throw a loud and mutinous veto along with her dad...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment