Wednesday 13 March 2013

Finding Valuable Stuff In Our Old Farm's Attic.

Our part of Burgenland has so many old Farms for sale.

When I first stumbled across the series on TV ( Antique Roadshow ), thoughts of " fuddy duddy " and pensioner and dare I say boring came to my mind ! Only at first though, because ten minutes into the program, I was hooked.

Don't we all dream of instant wealth ? Well finding stuff in an attic surely qualifies. Only the other day, there was another story of someone finding a stash of paintings worth a few million. Ah, the Holy Grail.

Well, when we first climbed the steep and somewhat precarious stairs into our attic, we were excited and giddy as schoolkids...The smell of decaying air filled with flying dust and cobwebs and the spooky unknown terrain, drew us like magic. Oh, there was an old-fashioned chest, plenty of wicker baskets and an abundance of old clothes. I think those were never taken off the washing line when the old owner " left ".

Old magazines and pictures were discarded but we did stumble across a reasonably old looking dinner service. I must say, the older generation of yesteryear did have a good idea. How often did you ( and do ) see them using old broken and cheap stuff while they had and have their good and expensive stuff in the display cupboard ?

Personally I tend to feel that is a waste as we should use the nicer things for us. Yet now, I see some point to it. We now own an old yet chip free dinner service !

Gosh, what will I leave for the next generation to find in the attic ? Maybe an Ipad or a flat-screen TV. Can you visualize their giddy excitement and shouts of " Oh my Goodness. Look at all the old communications stuff. How on earth did they ever manage with this stuff ? "

Of course Bob usually finds a way to make me laugh..at one stage I could hear his excited voice from the depth of the attic: " Schatzi, I found an old fur stole. Maybe its mink ? " only seconds later I heard a high-pitched note of disgust and horror followed by sounds of near nausea. Oh dear, his fur stole turned out to be an old, dead & decaying cat !

Biggi

Amazon.com :Antiquing For Dummies
Amazon.de :Antiquing For Dummies

Old dinner service complete with designer dust...

No comments:

Post a Comment