Friday 29 March 2013

Removing Wallpaper !

A painstakingly tedious process.

You only have to do it once, to promise yourself two things :

  • I will never put wallpaper on my walls.
  • If I ever meet the person who put it there in the first place, I'll tell them...

We started on a room yesterday. The major easy bits had been stripped already but the small stubborn sticky bits were awaiting us. Its a case of doing the first little section and experiencing a slight panic because you suddenly realize that the task ahead seems endless and possibly exhausting !

As is usual with anything in life, once you get over the first ' hump ' it kind of gets easier. At times it can almost resemble an archaeological expedition. Layers upon layers of stuff gets unearthed. In fact, you get to realize that the tenant before you was lazy and sloppy. Didn't they know never to paint over wallpaper ?

At one point, I got to a bottom part of the wall and unearthed a little red hand print. Instantly my imagination went into overdrive. That is until I found a few more hand prints in various colours. Kids and their fun !

In an opportunistic way you can use the monotonous scrape & peel as a form of meditation. Life gives you lemons...make lemonade. Gosh, who doesn't remember the " Wax on / Wax off " scene of the " Karate Kid " ? Apart from anything else, scraping anything off a wall is an incredible workout ( 'Home gym' a la Bob&Biggi got us fit ).

I would be willing to bet, that if you have ever removed old wallpaper of your own walls, you will stick to nice and easy wall paints from now on !

Please let me know whether I am the only one who dislikes this task !

Biggi

Fun & Games.Huge concentration...

No comments:

Post a Comment