Thursday 9 July 2020

A Day Of Chalk, Limestone & Fun.

Another milestone for me...

Like it or not, the reality of living in a cold northern country means the odd bit of mould growing on ceilings and walls. Especially our house which is delightfully old, authentic and rather rustic. Love that fact and with each year Bob and I are becoming more adept at airing the house during winter, the heating phase. Honestly, it takes a lot of courage to rip open each and every window in the house for at least ten minutes while outside it is minus something or other. But air we must to give all the moisture a chance to escape.

Anyway, our back rooms were a tad bit inflicted with mould and I thought that a lick of paint might do it a world of good. About two years ago we painted the outside of our house with limestone / chalk colour because it is environmentally good, has hardly any poisonous chemicals and is much cheaper than any other paint. The best thing of all is that even now we have a huge container with several plastic bags which are filled with the wet leftover colour ( It sort of looks and feels like play dough ). Colour just waiting to be used for odds and ends on walls inside and out.

Reactivating it with water was the difficult bit. At times it was too runny and then to thick, but I managed in the end. So, this morning I fetched a dusty ladder and got cracking on a few bathroom ceilings. Had rather a lot of fun painting although Mausi wasn't that thrilled to get a dusting of paint on her...

At first when I painted the area it felt as if nothing was being covered. Watery and see-through, but after about an hour it dried into a beautiful white. A white that covers everything perfectly. It didn't take as long as I thought to do all I wanted to and in the end I felt good to have achieved something. Something of a milestone for me as I am not usually fond of D.I.Y.
Mum, your prayers seem to have been answered...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment