Saturday 25 July 2020

So Much For Imagination...

A good lesson learned.

Last night or rather yesterday evening I was watching tv with my third eye when Bob woke me up by saying:

" You phone is ringing. "
Jeez, who on earth would phone me in the middle of my night. Eight o'clock is a ghastly time to phone...especially when one has arisen at three on that morning. Apart from anything else, I was as groggy as could be and it took me so long to realize where I was that by the time I had made it off the couch, the ringing had stopped.

Modern technology is a marvelous thing in that no caller is a stranger, but this particular person had last called me over a year ago and thus I was a bit confused as to why she'd call me so late. Deciding to phone back in the morning ( if it was urgent, she would have left a message or phoned again ) and went to our front room to put the phone back when I saw her car reversing out of our driveway. Strange indeed. A long time no hear and hardly ever a visit. But off she drove.

Bob thought I should phone back instantly but I wasn't awake enough to phone. Well, we decided to phone in the morning to find out what the call might have been about. And that was our silly conundrum. Both of us were spinning yarns in our minds as to the reason for the call. Anything from a cat having run under her car, to a computer to be fixed, to an English language school emergency or perhaps a special birthday invitation. Our minds spun and spun like crazy and couldn't wait until it was a decent enough time to return the call.

I have to say, when I eventually phoned back I was a touch nervous as to what might have happened the night before. Silly, as it turned out that she wanted to give me old books in case I would have a use for them. How kind of her and how silly of me to let my imagination run wild.

But isn't that what we all tend to be experts in? Time for me to learn that lesson and time to switch off all phones after hours. Oh for the good old land line days...after hour phone calls were as rare as ever mainly because phoning people wasn't such a big thing and also because it involved walking to the where the phone was and not merely pulling it out the back pocket...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment