Sunday 5 July 2020

A Bambi Along The Way.

No day is ever the same.

Sunday morning, Sunday walk is a ritual for me and often it tends to run along similar lines if not also geography. Yet, there are the subtle differences to each and every walk.

Naturally the scenery is stunning and beautiful regardless of season or weather but the people and animals encountered are what causes this uniqueness. Take this morning for example. At almost the start of my route I noticed a couple of runners in the distance. Who could they be? They weren't the ones I usually see. Turns out they were a young couple back home for the weekend trying their hand ( or feet ) at keeping fit. Just for good and safe measure I quickly pulled up my mask as they ran past. You can never tell where that little virus is hiding.

A few words on the fly later and off I went to basque in the pulchritude of a budding summer's day. Lost in my thoughts I didn't notice the next encounter until it was upon me. If I had, I would have taken my camera out and into position. At first I thought a young puppy had lost its way. Quivering legs, quivering nose and trusting big eyes stopped ahead of me in the path.

How cute. A very young deer stood there in front of me. Both of us got a huge fright and stopped for at least half a minute to consider our next move. The young deer ( not much bigger than a small dog ) moved as if it wanted to come towards me and in my mind's eye I already worked out a plan as to how to take it home. Wouldn't Mausi have enjoyed a small playmate! Trying not to scare it any further I made beckoning noises which obviously were the wrong choice as it started to hop to safety past me into a wheat field.

It was so precious to see this little creature. All the spots on its fur similar to those seen in childhood fables, movies and paintings. No parent followed and I do hope that this little one was merely making up the tail end of a family excursion and is now safe and sound next to its mum. Seeing this deer made me so proud that I don't eat animals anymore. How could I have ever eaten venison, meat, pork or fowl full and well knowing that an animal had to give up its life for my vagaries of taste...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment