Wednesday 1 July 2020

An Angel On My Shoulder.

Oh deer me!

Thankfully I tend to drive slower than is normal around here and get overtaken often by locals in a hurry to somewhere or nowhere. Life is too precious to drive fast and eh, our chariot doesn't have the oompf to fit into the fast lane.

Anyway, so there I was driving home after having mowed a few lawns with a trailer in tow. If for nothing else, than this trailer afforded me the right to drive more leisurely. Which is what I did on a long stretch of the road when suddenly out of the corner of my right eye I caught a fast movement along the edge of the budding cornfield next to the road. Before I could do anything I realized that it was a deer and I must have startled it.

It sprinted onto the verge and straight for the car. Well, not on purpose but what a frightening and horrific moment. I put on brakes ( thankfully there wasn't anyone behind or opposite me ) and the deer missed me literally by an inch! I can still clearly see its muscles pumping while bucking across the road.

My heart rate increased tenfold and it dawned on me how very close I had come to be in an accident. You never expect it do you? How quick life could change if it weren't for guardian angels. Surely mine had been there and alert enough to let me firstly drive at my usual pace ( any local pace might have been calamitous ) and secondly timed the encounter to avert disaster. Our whole area is deer country and often one hears or reads about accidents involving deer running into a car. A big thank you to my guardian angel and here's to driving more sedately...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment