Saturday 19 March 2022

Tickling Our Memory Gland.

 All it takes is a bite.


The other day I bought two packets of dried figs because they were marked down by 50% and because I thought that perhaps Bob might like them. I am not too fond of them but will have one now and again.

So, after supper that day I gave Bob two of these dried figs as a desert. He bit into the first one and suddenly his whole face changed. He looked happy, almost ecstatic. What on earth? Bob closed his eyes and munched in mulched in happy memories.

That one bite he took brought him right back to a time in Kindergarten where he was given a dried fig. Happy times, exciting times and a time where his whole life was still an unwritten slate. His memory of that day had kicked in and it literally had made his day.

There is a tv channel that carries old faithfuls. American series from the 70's and 80's and as a bonus one can watch it in its original language. Love it. Earlier this afternoon I happened upon a couple of episodes of Cagney and Lacy. The iconic cop series from the 80's which of course now, seeing it from a modern standard looks rather silly. 

Never mind the weak story lines...seeing this program took my mind back to when I saw it originally. Back in the 80's. Who ever thought that time would go by so fast and that now I am re-watching it almost four decades later? Again, it was a time where my whole life was still ahead of me and if anyone had told me back then that before I knew it, decades would pass, I wouldn't have believed them.

Memories are fabulous things. It means that we have lived life, it means that we have experienced life and it means that we have anchors that keep the pillars of our character firmly anchored by our side.

Biggi



No comments:

Post a Comment