Wednesday 23 March 2022

Back To The Eighties.

 Telepathy  and books.


It started yesterday morning at about half past seven. The internet went off and along with it all modern entertainment! Perhaps our modem was on the brink and so I did the faithful trick of ' switch-off/switch-on ' 
Normally that works although it takes an age to reload. Never mind, I had other stuff to do and I could wait. Well, wait I did. There was a red light on the modem indicating a problem and it stayed all day. By lunchtime I tried phoning mum to check in with her only to realize that our landline was dead too along with all cellphones, television ( we only stream ) and of course computer. Nice.

So now my mind went into overdrive. Did we forget to pay our bill or were the nefarious Russian hackers on the prowl? You know, being cut off from all from of communication lets one be rather ill-informed in regards to topics de jour.

In the afternoon I had to do some work for the local shop and when I got there, I asked whether they had internet. Thank goodness they didn't. It wasn't just us. No, it turns out that a couple of villages in our area were off the internet and basically off-grid. Even the shop couldn't place there supply order.

How dependent have we become with our love of internet? You know, yesterday was pretty much spent reading ( feeling a tad unwell and was home anyway ), reading and reading. Flashback to my youth. A time with no internet, no streaming and no cellphone.

A good time really. Less problems, more time and less worry. News were gotten once a day in the evening and while reading the daily paper. Old school really!

The evening ahead would be strange indeed. No television, no internet! Oh well reading it would have to be. Bob got home at around half past five and after he had shaken off the daily work-grind I told him about the lovely evening in store....only to be beaten by the red dot on our modem. It disappeared at the right time heralding the return of our internet. 


Biggi 

No comments:

Post a Comment