Thursday 31 March 2022

The Cleverness Of A Little Maltese.

 Sharp as a whistle, stubborn as a donkey.


What now, you might wonder! Well, the weather gods have been and are being good to us by dumping oodles of rain upon us. We so desperately need rain. The ground is so dry it reminds one of a desert. Awful but hopefully now not anymore.

The only person who doesn't like the rain is our little prince, Maxi. During the morning I had to take him out for a pippi break and gosh darn it, he noticed the wet ground! Leg down and in he ran. Ran to his little bed under the television. His safe haven, his castle, his home. And there he has been whiling the time away.

Usually at about two o'clock he comes to see where I am in order to let me know that a bathroom break is high time. His major bathroom break, his long walk around the block and of course nature. Today, no surprise, he has been lying in his little bed looking everywhere but at me. Hiding away. Two hours longer than usual.

Once he got out to shoot the breeze with Bob ( he has a rain day-off ) until he heard me coming around the corner from the kitchen...his little legs couldn't carry him fast enough back to his haven. He just does not like the rain. He likes snow, but not rain.

Never mind, I have found a way to outsmart him. From experience I am well aware that taking a donkey for a walk would be child's play compared to him. A distance of 50 meters entails me pulling the leash whilst cajoling him, and he putting down all four of his feet. No budging him even an inch.

The only way he will brave the rain is if the matter is a matter of urgency. So with cunning I have waited those extra two hours until he came to get me. Suddenly his ablutions can be made quickly and succinctly and even mere meters from our gate. What a clown! What a sweetie!

The next few days will mean a break for me from walking him his daily three kilometres, and you know what, everyone is entitled to some laziness and eccentricity.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment