Monday 30 August 2021

Flower Duty, Again...

 A week of reconnecting with my charges.


It has been a few months since I last had a slot on the flower-duty roster. Who knew that June to August would go so quickly? Honestly, it seemed like just the other day that I did my first week of flower duty and this morning, it almost felt as if I had never been away. 

The flowers haven't changed much. A few have grown up, a few have merely upped sticks and the rest have remained the same. I suppose that is the aim of a controlled flower bed. 

One of the watering cans has gone although I am not surprised as it was starting to fray everywhere. Only one left and of course the very long watering hose. Nothing for it, but to use it as I didn't feel like filling and carrying ten watering cans. Actually, it is so much easier with this hose. At least once I had undone all the kinks and knots.

It didn't take long before someone came to chat to me. Watering a public flower bed has its own magnetic attraction and isn't it often those fleeting little chats, chats devoid of heavy content, that make the world seem right? A smile here, a joke there and nothing much of consequence, yet exactly those short encounters are what make us feel part of society.

Well, another six days to go, another six opportunities for being connected to our village. Of course the weather might play up and take a few days away. The rain, it isn't in Spain...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment