Tuesday 31 August 2021

Learning To Negotiate With Little Maxi.

 Oh yes, the rain was one of the topics of negotiation!


The darling has taken to getting out of his basket the minute I wake up in order to say good morning. Too cute, especially as he looks rather dozy first thing in the morning. Eyes barely open, yawns galore along with elaborate stretching. Why should he be any different to us?

His eyes, as cute as they are, are the bane of our contention. They have a matted and crusted fringe hanging over and even  in them. Hardly pleasant for him and not a pretty sight. I know he hates it as he tries to rub the side of his face along the carpet. Before you ask, I have tried quite often but his head is a touchy area, one prone to sudden teeth exposure.

Slowly but surely I have gained some foothold in the face-cleaning department. Mum gave me an old cleaning cloth ( soft and pliable ) which I use each day, moistening it and then rubbing it gently over his eyes. Twice on each side is as far as I can get before the little darling drops his cloak of cuteness. Fair enough, can't be that pleasant for him.

This morning after our long walk I decided to cut his fringe, regardless of  whether he liked it or not. Being prepared is half the battle and therefore I get out scissors, comb and treat beforehand. Oddly enough, as much as he hates having his head washed, he sat as still as a mouse while I cut his fringe. What a darling!

His eyes are looking much better now and hopefully are less irritating for him. He was thrilled to bits at receiving a few of his favourite treats and not once growled or misbehaved. Couldn't be prouder of him...

Of course by this afternoon his hero status had waned. We had on and off rain this afternoon which made the grass and roads wet. As soon as I saw that the rain had stopped, I took Maxi outside for his afternoon constitutional. Well, the little rascal took only a few steps in the wet grass, did a quick #1 and then put on all his four brakes. Whichever way I tried to lead him, he refused going so far as giving me that look of;

        " Really, are we doing this again? " 

Okay, he won this round....negotiations are a two way street after all. I'll try again to take him outside in an hour or two and see who wins that round.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment