Saturday 4 May 2013

A Blogger Needs Passion, Nerves & Chutzpah !

My 1st Birthday as a blogger and my 365th post...

Let's be clear, blogging is not for the faint of heart. But I love it and as trite as it sounds, I can't picture my day without it.

Just for a second close your eyes and imagine ( maybe not, as I need you to read further ) what it would be like if you had to venture forth to your local shopping center, the place where your friends, family and acquaintances flit, lounge or linger around. But with one condition: You must be naked !

As you do your shop ( naked ), you get some people who:

  • Take one look and start to criticize your body.
  • Start to laugh outright at you.
  • Just stop and stare in stupor and then shake their heads.
  • Compare yours to theirs.
  • Sadly and most worryingly of all,some just give you the cold shoulder and totally ignore you.
  • BUT thankfully a few will luckily pat you on the shoulder to say they like what you are doing.

Well, that's what we bloggers go through each time we upload a post. We totally expose ourselves to you !!! Nerve - wracking, nail biting, tear jerking yet also fabulously and divinely exciting.

A common way to spot us bloggers is seeing our reaction as soon as anything exciting ( even at times mundane ) happens. We'll be the ones either making furtive notes, talking into a mini recorder or whipping out our smartphone to let our fingers flick across the screen as if they were performing in River Dance !

A few of us withdraw from conversation and start to mentally practice how we would string our sentences together. Oh and it goes without saying that a camera is always at hand. In fact a true blogger never leaves home without it. Another clue, for sure !

Bloggers have courage, ingenuity and good old fashioned chutzpah. Let me paint you a picture of what some of our average day is like. As you finally settle on a topic you spend enormous amounts of time writing it, deleting all or part of it and starting again. If we are lucky we have a sounding board or spouse at hand for editing.

Bob's been my chief cheerleader and has given me support, ideas and different viewpoints from the word go. He's also been brave enough to tell me if he feels the story isn't good and that's akin to pulling the lion's tail ! Plus he checks my grammar. Thank you Schatzi, you are the best.

This year has gone by in a flash and I am certain that blogging gives each day an extra boost. What has been so nice for me, is that my family have been wonderfully supportive by reading most or all of the posts and even I know that some have been tough like a shoe sole.

As I can count my ( blog reading ) family on two hands, I know that there are a lot of other loyal readers out there. I want to give you a big, no make that huge " Thank you " for reading my posts.

Like anything else in life, practice makes perfect. Hardly anyone is born a perfect blogger. So thank you for your ongoing patience. My kind sister-in-law was the first to comment and I will always remember and be grateful to her for it. A big thank you to my family ( especially parents ) and friends.

Biggi

Amazon.com:31 Days to Finding Your Blogging Mojo
Amazon.de/at:Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community

No comments:

Post a Comment